Sunday 22 September 2024

World Kid Lit Month 2024: LGBTQIA+

For some people, these books push the boundaries and need banning. 
I think they need highlighting and celebrating.
And, this is only a tiny selection of the books I *could* have recommended. 

Rere atu taku poi! Let my poi fly! By Tangaroa Paul & Rebecca Gibbs. 

Another moment for me to share my pride in my work organisation. For those who don't know, poi are a female accessory. But, if you are a boy - or AMAB (assigned male at birth) - who loves the poi, what do you do? Based on the author's own experiences. You can see Tangaroa in action, in this video - filmed in one of the local libraries. 




The frog's kiss by James Mayhew & Toto. 


A queer retelling of the Frog Prince fairy tale. 




 

Grandad's Pride by Harry Woodgate. 

This book has faced negative review bombing online. It is a sequel to Grandad's Caravan, and both are beautiful, and deserve support. 


Jenny lives with Eric and Martin by Susanne Bösche, Andreas Hansen, & L. Mackay. 

Old school review! How many people have ever heard of this one? It is from 1981, and has faced controversy since its first publication. 


You need to chill by Juno Dawson & Laura Hughes. 


I want the confidence of this main character, if I ever need to defend my relatives - politely. 



Kapaemahu by Hinaleimoana Wong-Kalu, Dean Hamer, Joe Wilson, & Daniel Sousa. 

A retelling of a traditional Hawai'ian moolelo (a story which bridges legend and history) about a group of mahu (beings who carry both male and female mind, spirit, and heart). 

No comments:

Post a Comment