Sunday, 4 October 2026

October Kiwi Kids Books: Day 4.

Share a New Zealand book for children or teens for ages 0-4 years. 

 

17 kings and 42 elephants.

Written by Margaret Mahy.

Illustrated by Alba Gil Celdrán.

Little Moa, 2024.

Originally published in 1972 by J. M. Dent & Sons.  

Aotearoa.

Picture book.

Seventeen kings on forty-two elephants Going on a journey through a wild wet night... Join the kings and the elephants on their jungle journey, meeting new creatures as they dance and sing their way through the jungle.

Everyone needs whimsy and glorious language – from birth.

I will always remember the 5-year-old who interrupted my reading of this, to tell me that there were ‘made up words.’ They seemed very unimpressed.

I felt so sad that they had already lost whimsy. 

While hunting for book covers, I found this maths lesson plan - well, lots of plans for different ages - based on how to equally share the care of 42 elephants among 17 kings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment