I am a Bon dancer. Written by Brandi-Ann Uyemura.
Illustrated by Amy Matsushita-Beal.
Holiday House, 2026.
Picture book.
"I thread each arm through my peach sleeves. Grandpa Jo ties the bright yellow sash around me. I check to make sure the paper flowers in my hair are on just right. I am ready for my first Bon dance festival!”
It's a young Japanese-American girl's first time at the
"Festival of Souls," one of the largest Buddhist festivals. It's just
like her grandfather described: the smell of corndogs, the glow of hanging
paper lanterns, the beat of taiko drums. But Grandpa Jo didn't tell her that
everyone else already knew how to dance! Suddenly, the lanterns feel like
spotlights. She wish, wish, wishes she could dance, but she can't bring herself
to try until Grandpa Jo encourages her to remember the meaning of the Obon
Festival - celebrating our family members who have passed on - and to imagine
her beloved Grandma Nat dancing along with her. Because she is there, and
behind her are her parents, sugar-cane cutters, and behind them are their
parents, who came to Hawai'i on ships from Japan.
Traditions of light and dance – and their connection to
those who have passed.
The author is fifth generation Hawai’ian Japanese.
The illustrator was born in the USA, and is now based in
Tokyo.
No comments:
Post a Comment